DATES IN THE
HISTORY OF THE CASTLE AND THE
Occupation of Tinos
The last of the Ghisis,
Batholomew III, dies whithout a heir. The Ghisi dynasty ends and Tinos
is again ruled by Venice according its own interests.
Appointment of new governor.
Official title “Rector of Tinos and Mykonos”
Leading the Great Sultan`s
army, Barbarossa invades Tinos. A year later the Venetians win back the
17 th century
churches are erected
within the walls of the fortress: the catholic cathedral (dedicated to
the Virgin Mary), St. Barb`s church (home of the Orthodox priest), the
holy Trinity, St. Sophia church, and a church dedicated to the Immaculate
1663 The Jesuits settle in Tinos. The first Jesuit to the
island is Tinos-born Michel Albertini.
Decree of Jean-Babtiste
Scoutaris (1.7.1682) leases St. Sophia`s church to the Jesuits who need
On January 26, 1722
the catholic bishop of Tinos cedes St. Catherine´s chapel to the
Jesuits. The Jesuits refuse Rome`s offer to install them in Loutra and
move to Borgo.
Building of the present
church, as we know today, next to St. Catharine`s church.
Building of the catholic
cathedral of Exombourgo, dedicated to St. John the Baptist.
First mention of the
orthodox church of St. Eleousa (Virgin of Graces) which belonged to Jean
Marizello. Today it belongs to the Foundation of Evanghelistria (Virgin
of the Annunciation). St. Minas is no longer mentioned.
The Jesuits leave Exombourgo
and settle in Loutra. Monastery and church are dedicated to St. Joseph.
The last Jesuit to live in Exombourgo was Father Kutsinzki a Pole, who
moved to Loutra in 1846.
The churches of St.
John the Babtist loses its status as cathedral in favor of a church in
The Jesuits complete
the renovation of St. Caterine`s chapel and dedicate it to the Sacred
Heard of Jesus. Fathers Romano and Destro lead the initiative.
On November 4., 1900
Bishop Francesco di Mento (with the support of the Jesuits) unveils a
huge marble cross on the summmit of the mountain before a large congregation.
Father Louis Destro
dies and the Sacred Heart of Jesus is deserted.
Father Domenico Voutsinos
is appointed to Tinos.
The Jesuits decide to
renovate the Sacred Jeart of Jesus church. They entrust the church to
Father Domenico Voutsinos and the renovation to Blaise Petrovits. The
new church is inaugurated on the day of Christ The King. (last Sunday
The deserted St. John
the Babtist cathedral falls in ruins. (the previus cathedral of the bishop
On the day of the feast
of the pilgrimage (2nd Sunday of July) a war memorial dedicated
to the cathilics who gave their life during WW I and II and during the
Greek civil war, is unveiled (Total period 1912-1950). The memorial is
the work of Tinos-born sculptor Jean Filippotis.
The opening of a road
paid for and maintained by the pilgrimage allows motorized vehicles to reach the pilgrimage. First vehicle is the
taxi of Antonios Korinthios.
All buildings are connected
to the Greek electric power system.
Improvements to the
road allows buses to get to the pilgrimage.
A telephone line is
installed at the pilgrimage.
Today, with a comlete
hostel facility (kitchen, dining room equiped to accommodate about 50peaple)
featuring spacious two-or three-bed
dormitories with complete sanitary facilities and located in quiet and
pleasant surroundings the pilgrimage is a great place for those who seek
a place to go into retreat or to youth groups wishing to combine rest
with spiritual quest and prayer.
further information, please contact:
Father Sebastien Freris
Loutra – 84200 Tinos
Tel. + 30 22830 51 492. Mob. + 30 6978